Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fast & Easy Creamy Polenta

Ever since having pan fried polenta in an Italian restaurant a few weeks ago, I've been imagining producing a similarly tasty dish at home. I have little experience with polenta; initially I didn't like it, and I probably would not have given it a second chance if I didn't have to avoid gluten.

My stepmother forwarded me her sister's microwave polenta recipe, which I quickly made. However, the consistency was creamy—like, I've realized, most polenta recipes. After my husband absconded with a bowl for himself, I tried frying up the polenta. That didn't go so well. The polenta was quite liquid to begin with, so when the bottom started turning from yellow to golden, the top had not hardened enough to be flipped without sliding off the spatula. While the result was messy, it was palatable and quickly eaten.
This recipe is great for quick clean-up. We just put all the ingredients in a Pyrex measuring cup.

After researching online, I realized that I could reduce the ratio of water to polenta from 4-1 to 3-1 for grilled or fried polenta and, importantly, I should spread it in a pan and let it set for at least an hour in the fridge. Yesterday, I attempted it again. I used about 3 1/3 cups of water and let the polenta set for just one hour in the fridge. I was able to cut the polenta into rectangles that held their shape when I put them in the pan, however the bottom of the polenta turned gelatinous before finally firming-up.
Polenta fresh out of the microwave and ready to set.

The result was certainly an improvement over the first attempt, but here are the changes for next time:

*3 cups of water to 1 cup of polenta
*refrigerate polenta overnight before frying
*make sure frying pan is completely heated before adding polenta

FAST & EASY CREAMY POLENTA

1 Cup yellow corn meal
4 Cups cold water (3 if you are going to be grilling or frying polenta)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Teaspoon salt

Pour all ingredients in large bowl. Stir until there are no lumps. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove, stir and microwave another 3 (2 minutes if 3 cups water) minutes. Remove, stir and microwave for 2 minutes (1-2 for 3 cups water). Polenta will be cooked at this time. Cook longer if you want it less creamy. Times may vary slightly depending on your microwave.

No comments: