Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gluten-free Banana Banana Nut Muffins

Gluten-free Banana Banana Nut Muffins

I'd accumulated seven over-ripe bananas in the freezer, and I thought we should use them before we leave. Since I had such luck adapting a wheat flour zucchini bread recipe to a gluten-free one, I thought I'd just look up a well-reviewed glutinous banana bread recipe and substitute the Brown Rice Flour Mix and a bit of xantham gum for the wheat flour.

I went to allrecipes.com, where I found the zucchini bread recipe, and found a simple Banana Banana Bread recipe that garnered 4.5/ 5 stars and was accompanied by useful reviewer comments. Since the recipe did not call for vanilla, spices or nuts, I was happy to read that many people had added them with great results. As well, one baker had given her instructions for using muffin tins instead of a loaf pan. Perfect.

Muffins ready to go in the oven

I've listed the recipe (below) with my changes and additions. As you can see above, the recipe makes 12 good sized muffins. And yes, the taste is wonderful. Our bananas were so ripe, so sweet, so banana-y, that I think I could even have cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup. I did use a little less than the called for 3/4 cup, but reducing it further with very ripe bananas, I'm guessing, would be fine. If you are inclined to read the original recipe or other reviews, click on the link below.

Gluten-free Banana Banana Nut Muffins (based on Banana Banana Bread)

INGREDIENTS

2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix
1 tsp xantham gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flax seed/ linseed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon spice of your choice. I used speculaas (a Dutch spice mix of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, mace). Other suggestions: nutmeg, cinnamon or allspice
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated butter substitute or butter (I used substitute)
1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar (depending on sweetness of bananas and personal preference)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups (about seven) mashed overripe bananas
1 cup walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tin (or use liners). Makes 12 large muffins.

2. In a bowl, combine flour mix, xantham gum, baking soda, salt, flax, cinnamon, and additional spice. Whisk to blend. In a separate, large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Then stir in, with spatula or spoon, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; stir just to moisten. Stir in walnuts until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. If not done at 25 minutes, increase heat to 350 degrees and bake for 5-10 more minutes. Let muffins cool in pan for 10 minutes.

No comments: