Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cauliflower Pakora

From Hungrymonster.com. I made this before, and, while tasty, the batter did not come close to covering 2 pounds of cauliflower. It was thick as the recipe said it would be, but I was even wondering if it was too thin. When I dipped the cauliflower in the batter and thoroughly coated a piece, it seemed as though I was left with 1/4 cup less batter. The first few pieces where thoroughly coated, but the rest were partial at best. I'm not 100% convinced that one needs to do the frying of each batch in two stages. Because my pieces were so delicately battered, moving them in and out of the pan two times caused some batter to flake off.

However, M* loved, loved, loved this dish. He was eating it as fast as I was taking it out of the hot oil. Could it be because deep frying makes everything taste better? I liked it, but I wanted each piece to be thoroughly coated. My unhappiness had only to do with presentation.

I bought a smaller cauliflower head this time, so we'll see what happens.

update - Well with about half of the called for cauliflower, double the amount of yogurt and double the amount of chili powder, M* and I really enjoyed this dish again. I'm still struggling with the batter not fully adhering to the cauliflower. It often just stuck to the bottom of the pan - and some fell off during the process of taking the florets out halfway through the process. I think that I will try another recipe or use elements of another recipe next time. I do like this recipe because it calls for yogurt and besan (chick pea flour) only, as I can't have any gluten containing flours. In general this recipe is very easy - although I have yet to master the disposing of all of that oil. I did save it once, after straining out the pieces of fried dough. I'm not comfortable reusing it more than once though. I should probably get passed that.

No comments: