Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Roast Chicken with Root Veggies

Recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I wanted to try brining a chicken, and it was really easy. Only thing was recipe called for two chickens to be brined and then cooked at one time. I don't have a pot truly big enough to brine one chicken to their specifications let alone two let alone an oven big enough to cook two. I will buy a real stockpot, but in the meantime I cut down the sugar and salt in the brine to 1 cup each from 1 1/2 cups because I could only fit about 10 cups of water when the recipe called for 16. Kept the garlic at two heads (yes, heads not cloves) and bay leaves at six. Basically just brine the chicken for an hour or so, cook and then use the same pan to cook the root vegetables under very high heat. Root vegetables are really up to you. We used potatoes, fennel, sweet potatoes and onions. I threw in some leeks that we had to use at the very end so that they wouldn't overcook.

No comments: