Saturday, February 24, 2007

Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Tea Loaves

Another recipe from "Gluten-Free Baking Classics" by Annalise Roberts. There is nothing bad in this book. I've made this recipe twice in the last week. The first time I made it, I gave one loaf to our landlord, and the remaining loaf disappeared in less than 24 hours.

This recipe is very easy. Grating the 2 tbsps of lemon rind is the only time consuming step, and that only takes about 10 minutes. I found that one and a half lemons renders the desired amount. All ingredients are standard in a kitchen, except maybe the lemon extract. I didn't have the four 5x3 loaf pans, so I used two larger ones (6 1/2 x 4 1/2 I think). Baking time was only three minutes longer.

My second batch, which I've just taken out of the oven, I modified slightly. Since the recipe calls for a lot of sugar, I reduced it to 3/4 cup. M* noticed the difference and like it; he said that it tasted less like candy. I also substituted two egg whites for one of the three eggs. I'm going to attempt to make this with egg replacer, to keep the cholesterol down for M*.

Recipe
2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 packed tbsps grated lemon rind
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp lemon extract
3/4 cup milk
granulated sugar to sprinkle on top of loaves

Mix the first six ingredients—set aside. Combine and beat the next four ingredients with mixer at medium-high speed for one minute. Add milk, flour mixture and mix until just blended. Fill loaf pans (lightly coated with cooking spray) with batter and cook in oven preheated to 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Cool loaves for 10 minutes in pans before removing them to cool completely.

No comments: