Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Gluten-Free Raspberry Lemon Cornmeal Scones

Another recipe from Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Ingredients: Gluten-free flour mix (milk, raisins, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour) cornmeal, sugar, xantham gum, baking powder, salt, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon peel.

This is an easy recipe, although it requires a few more bowls (= more cleanup) than I'd like. Not being a raisin fan, but feeling that I should replace an ingredient instead of just deleting it, I used frozen raspberries (all I had). Since frozen raspberries do not hold their form once defrosted, they ended up almost completely blending into the mix and gave the scones a pinkish tint and a general raspberry flavor that complemented the strong lemon taste. I didn't have lemon extract, so I used lemon juice and a bit more peel. Maybe it was the addition of the raspberries or just the strength of the lemon, but the impact on the taste buds of the cornmeal was minimal.

It wasn't until I had cut out six circles from the dough that I realized they were suppose to be one inch thick—I was going more for thick cookie dough depth (about half an inch). Regardless, they are yummy, and, really, a small scone is better for the waistline.

No comments: