Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lebanese Taverna's Lentil Soup

My sister took a cooking class at Lebanese Taverna in the DC area a few years back, and she served us the lentil soup that she learned to make. I am only slowly becoming a fan of the taste of lentils, however even I was a fan of this hearty, filling soup. M* copied down the recipe that night, but we had yet to make it. I had already made a satisfactory recipe with green lentils since arriving in Cambridge, but once I realized that we had this recipe with us, that one was soon forgotten.

I'm happy to report that our efforts were as successful as my sister's, and this recipe will be a staple in our cadre of winter meals. The only real prep is to remember to soak the lentils for about 12 hours. Besides the sumac, spinach and lemon, we had all of the ingredients: cilantro, garlic, potatoes, cinnamon, onion, olive oil, salt, pepper. I certainly would not make it without the sumac, as it certainly lends a distinct, strong, slightly sour flavor. Like most soups, it tastes just as yummy one, three or five days later.

2 comments:

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

Hi, i was reading your post about the lebanese taverna lentil soup. Is there any way you can disclose the recipe from your sister who took the cooking class at Lebanese taverna? I love their soup and would like to make it. I've tried to cook different types of lentil soup, but the one at Lebanese Taverna is really good and i can't make out how it was cooked. Thank you for your help!