Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Oven Fries

CI had a recipe in 2004 for oven fries that were suppose to taste as good as if they'd been deep fried. CI did all the research, including determining the best type of potato to use; russet was the winner. My sister made these with great results, and now I've made them twice. M* and I have scarfed down the fruits of my labors, but thrift has kept us from buying russets since we have unknown varieties of organic potatoes delivered weekly that need to be used. Can't wait to make these with the correct potato and in a pan that does not dip on the sides (the fries that are in the dip tend to cook quicker). One of the CI tricks is to soak the peeled potato wedges in cold water for 10 minutes and then to cook them covered for 5 minutes before removing the cover for the remaining 30 minutes or so. I do recommend making a lot of these because it's so sad to have ketchup left on your plate with nothing to dip in it.

No comments: