Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Gluten-Free Cornbread

I made a large pot of spicy chili, and since I had corn meal and a gluten-free cornbread recipe I made cornbread as an accompaniment. I should have known by the sugar in the recipe that this was a sweet cornbread which I prefer with a cup of milk and a bit of butter and jam. M* and I certainly ate all of it within a few days, but we never ate it with the chili. The sweetness and cakey texture just didn't mesh with the mouth-burning, vegetable-laden tomato chili. Since I haven't had cornbread in many years due to gluten issues, I forgot about the differences between sweet and savory cornbread. One can find quite a bit online explaining the difference between or extolling the virtues of one of the two types. Here's the Wikipedia explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread#Regional_tastes.

Gluten-free sweet cornbread

I certainly would make this again if I want a sweet treat, but next time I want a savory version I'll modify it by lessening or removing the sugar, adding corn kernels and possibly adding some diced, mild chili peppers.

Gluten-free Cornbread from "Gluten-Free Baking Classics"
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup Brown Rice Flour Mix
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup milk minus 1 tablespoon
1 large egg, well beaten
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Combine oil, milk, egg and vanilla in another small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry and gently stir to combine, being careful not to over mix. Pour batter into muffin pan or 8-inch round cake pan that has been coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes for muffins or 25 for bread. Eat and enjoy.

No comments: