Sunday, March 18, 2007

Zucchini Bread

Modified a zucchini bread recipe I found online to make it gluten-free. I've done this before with a different mix of gluten-free flours and this time I used the Brown Rice Flour Mix from "Gluten-Fee Baking Classics"—both times the results were delicious. That being written, I think for the next batch I'll reduce the cinnamon by 1 tsp and the sugar by 1/3 cup. I know it's really closer to a cake than a bread, but, in my opinion, the sweetness and cinnamon overpowered the zucchini.

Zucchini Bread IV (from Allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C).

Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

Notes:
Replaced flour with equal amount of Brown Rice Flour Mix and add 1 1/2 tsps of xantham gum.

I didn't have the correct size loaf pans; I used three smaller ones instead. Not sure of their size as I forgot what the dimensions (in centimeters, of course) were on the label.

Batter distributed evenly between three small loaf pans.

Fresh from the oven and ready to be eaten.

No comments: