Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Millet Flour

The gluten-free pizza crust recipe that I love suggests using 1 cup of millet flour along with the brown rice flour mix. This provides the nuttiness that is missing when you substitute out wheat flour. There was a shortage of millet flour at the local health food stores, and I was beginning to worry that my pizza's wouldn't taste as good without it. I was at Al Amin on Mill Road, which carries a great variety of Middle Eastern, African, Asian and Mediterranean ingredients, and I saw a large bag of bajri flour paranthetically labled millet flour. It looked a bit greener than the millet flour I had bought previously, but I decided to try it.

Above is a photo of the bajri flour (bottom) and the little bit of millet flour that remained from a previous purchase. The difference in color is obvious, and the bajri flour appeared to be milled to finer texture.
I am happy to report that there was no difference to the appearance or taste of the pizza. It's a plus that the bajri flour is cheaper than the millet flour purchased in health food stores.

No comments: